Study and health care …

Study Purposes Only

No Dutch public health insurance allowed. Make sure you have a health
insurance from your home country with enough coverage or take out a
private health insurance or health insurance from your home country.

If you are from the EU/EEA you may be eligible to receive a European Health
Insurance Card (EHIC) which covers your necessary medical costs during your
stay. Please make sure you check this with your health insurer in your home
country as this might differ per EU-member state.

Study and Internship: if you are doing an internship for which you are paid at least as much as the Dutch minimum wage, you are subject to compulsory insurance under the Wlz scheme.
If you receive expenses this will also count as remuneration for your
internship. You should bear in mind that room and board may also be
regarded as remuneration. Contact the SVB (
and start the Wlz assessment when you are in doubt.
Study and Work : You are required to have a Dutch public health insurance if you have a (parttime) job.
Do you work on a self-employed basis (in Dutch: ZZP-er), contact the SVB
( and request an assessment of your Wlz
position. The SVB will decide whether you need to take out a Dutch public
health insurance or not.
Health Care Benefit You can only apply for health care benefit if you are eligible for a Dutch public health insurance (in Dutch: zorgtoeslag) via the Dutch Tax Office (in Dutch: Belastingdienst) go to:
Received a letter from the CAK?
You might receive a letter from the CAK about your insurance obligation. You need to take action within 3 months or you will receive a fine of € 437,25 (2022). Even if you incorrectly received the letter from the CAK.

Study purposes only, internship earning less than minimum wage, self-employed: It is important to contact the Sociale Verzekeringsbank (SVB) to request (free of charge) an investigation of your insurance position under the Wlz scheme, go to the website:

  1. Keep in mind that it might take 6-8 weeks before you receive the outcome of the Wlz assessment. Therefore, take action immediately after receiving the letter from the CAK.
    Send a copy of the decision from the SVB about your insurance position to the CAK. Use the contactform and chose option ‘regeling onverzekerden’.
  2. CAK will close your file if the outcome of the Wlz assessment states that you are not to be insured.
    (Part-time) work, how to take out a Dutch public health insurance?
  3. You must be registered with a municipality before you can take out a basic health insurance.
  4. Choose your health insurance from one of the Dutch public health insurers. Fill out the application form and sent it to the health insurer.
  5. The registration is complete once you have received an insurance policy (in Dutch: polisblad).
  6. If you stop working or if you leave the Netherlands, cancel your insurance. Do not forget to deregister from the municipality.
  7. When you have finished your studies and decide to stay in the Netherlands, you must apply for a health insurance when you start to work. During an orientation year with a search visa you are not allowed to take out a Dutch public health insurance if you have not started to work. You can take out an international health insurance.

Auteur: MVV Advies Bureau Eindhoven

Na mijn pensionering in 2016 ben ik als kleine zelfstandige verder gegaan. Hiervoor heb ik 15 jaar als projectleider gewerkt bij het Vreemdelingen Informatie Punt Eindhoven. Elke stad verdient een dergelijk informatie punt, waar men laagdrempelig actuele informatie kan verkrijgen over verblijfsvergunningen, naturalisatie, inburgering, de IND e.d. Zonder teveel poespas en protocollen. En ook nog face to face.

Eén gedachte over “Study and health care …”

Geef een reactie

Vul je gegevens in of klik op een icoon om in te loggen. logo

Je reageert onder je account. Log uit /  Bijwerken )


Je reageert onder je Twitter account. Log uit /  Bijwerken )

Facebook foto

Je reageert onder je Facebook account. Log uit /  Bijwerken )

Verbinden met %s

%d bloggers liken dit: